Brown County Crime Victim's Assistance
Brown County Courthouse
Aberdeen, SD 57401-4212
phone: (605) 626-7130
fax: (605) 626-7132
Click here to access the List of Convicted Sex Offenders living in Brown County
Return to Brown County Home Page
Brown County Crime Victim's Assistance is a one-person department authorized by the Brown County Commission to assist victims of crime as they work with the criminal justice system from arrest through prosecution. Duties of the victim's assistant include:
Notifying victims of court dates.
- Explaining the criminal justice system.
- Assisting victims in filling out applications for South Dakota Crime Victims' Compensation.
- Assisting victims in communicating needs, wishes, and restitution requests to law enforcement officers, prosecutors, probation or parole officers, judges, jailers, and/or state penitentiary personnel.
- Referring victims to community services, including counseling, social services, food and shelter, legal services, and Safe Harbor.
- Accompanying victims to court.
The victim's assistant offers services to victims of crimes included under the South Dakota Crime Victims Bill of Rights:
Violent felonies (SDCL 22-1-2): murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, rape, riot, robbery, first- and second-degree burglary, kidnapping, arson, and felony sex crimes defined in 22-22;
- Domestic violence, which is simple assault between family or household members, defined at 25-10-1(2);
In addition, the victim's assistant offers services to victims of simple assault and certain other crimes resulting in physical injury.
If you are the victim of a property crime, please see Information for Property Crime Victims.
The Brown County Crime Victim's Assistant is a part-time (three-quarters) employee, with hours varying according to the day's court schedule. Telephone messages are returned as promptly as possible, however, so if you call and get the machine, please leave a message.
Return to top of page